[VACList] Summer Camping with Pets

quite often, summer time in RV parks means brown outs or even, no shore power at
all.  Taking care of pets in those conditions is tough but remember, they are
usually much more resilient than you think or probably, you are - depending on
your background.

When you are in a park or virtually boondocking with temps over 90*, there are a
few things you can do.
I know because we did all of this back in 1970-73 with our Overlander to include
putting alum foil on the windows, etc in El Paso one summer while there for an
Army TDY tour. Back then we would have killed for one of those big white and red
and blue vent covers with a powerful fan in it such as they have today. get it
or any other fans turned on.  Open windows on the cool side of the trailer. Turn
on 12V fans inside the trailer.

Also, get your awnings out and put the dogs under the trailer on leades with
water. Open the windows under the curbside awning - that is your coolside
especially if it is the North or EAst side of the trailer.
Fresh air covered by shade from your awnings with a dishpan full of cool and
clean water is all that pets really need.  You may need more than that but dogs
are very adaptable; they will tolerate it better than you will, believe it or
not.

NEVER leave them in a closed trailer thinking that a few fans will cool them
off. It does NOT. It just makes it hotter.

Don't take them for walks on hot pavement or hard surface. It gets HOT and can
burn their paws.  Also, they do not need to be exercising during the heat of the
day (10am to 4/5pm). Leave them at the trailer and do your walking around
without them.

chas (who has been at this now for going on 40 yrs. about 60 if you count taking
cockers camping in central Texas in the summer time.)
--
Charles Hamilton, Houston, TX  chasm @ texas.net  www.schuetzen.net
'77 Sovereign, '02 E350 SD PSD, Pullrite+Prodigy