[VACList] Towing?

Hi, everybody!
     I have been using an Argosy Minuet for vacations for the past 3 years
using a Ford F-150 V8 as the tow vehicle. This combination has worked out
great as the F-150 acts as though the Argosy isn't there!
     Anyway, it is now time to upgrade to a bigger Airstream and I am
seriously looking at e.g. a 28ft Ambassador (1978) or a 29 ft Ambassador
(1972). Obviously the F-150 is going to notice one of these hitched to its
rear-end, so the question is - what do I need to do in order to tow one of
these 2 Airstreams without causing myself to compromise on safety/power,
etc. I was thinking that I would probably need a larger truck and have been
looking to upgrade to an F-250, 4WD short bed with the 7.3 Diesel Power-
Stroke engine. Will this be up to the task or not? The ratings on the hitch
of
the F-250 state that maximum tongue weight should be 500lbs and that the
maximum trailer weight should not exceed 5000lbs. Will this truck be up to
the task or not? I would rather have power to spare than be running at the
upper limit of the truck. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
           Dave Harris