Re: [VACList] Re: VACList Tow Vehicle Tire Pressures

I would think that your tow vehicle will be at or near its capacity while
towing. If so the tires should be at the maximum pressure for a fully loaded
vehicle (if your manufacturer provides this information.) If not inflate
them to the maximum imprinted on the tire.

Rumor has it that tire manufactures publish a list of inflation pressures
needed for a certain weight. If you can find this list then all you have to
do is weigh your fully loaded rig one axle at a time at a public scale.
Unfortunately I have yet to find such a list for Michelin or Goodyear so I
must guess. One good indicator of an overloaded tire is the temp of the
tires while being used. A simple touch at a rest stop will suffice.

Remember if you are using a proper weight distributing hitch that some of
the weight of the trailer will be born by the front wheels. More weight
usually means more pressure. However I am not a tire expert, just an
Airstreamer with 20+ years of towing experience.

Scott