Re: [VACList] Restoring an Airstream is not possible

On soapbox...

For instance.  I am installing a Atwood water heater.  I removed the Bowen
which had a metal housing over the fiberglass insulation.  The Atwood has
Styrofoam strapped around it.  No protection what so ever.

I even emailed Atwood and asked about it.  For all I know the styrofoam was
packing material.  They answered saying the styrofoam was the insulation and
if I removed it just put it back no big deal.

I responded telling them that I think exposed styrofoam for insultation is
cheap.  And that it ripped up as I slid it in the opening.

Atwood responded with that would not have happened if it was installed
properly.  Which I agree, but still cheap.

The area near the water pipe connections is not insulated at all.  Since it
is an aluminum tank, won't that exposed area get very hot?

The exposed styrofoam will be subject to damage from anything that contacts
it, water, mice would love to build a nest out of it ;-)

It is just cheap!!  Should be covered with a metal enclosure.

Off soapbox...

I wonder how the modern suburban water heater is.

As far as trying to keep the rest of it nice, I am wrestling with making a
new copper gas line to the heater.  The hardware store guys say they can't
believe it uses copper, and suggested I use a flex line, which I purchased.
But it says right on the package not to move it too much once its in place.
So I don't think it should be subject to the vibration of a trailer.

I am no pipe fiter by an means.  But I am trying to learn.  I borrowed a
flare tool, pipe cutter, and pipe bender.  Now all I need is half a day to
mess with it ;-)

I modern trailers don't use copper gas lines, what do they use?

-Tim