Re: [VACList] leaking fixed windows

Now, now, calm down. the truth is that chasing leaks is the most common
and least glamourous part of AS ownership.

The leak that is coming out your window may be coming in anywhere in
that end of the trailer.  A leak at the forward hatch will dribble down
the inside and only appear at the window, or travel along internal ribs
and other bones to a new location.

You should look at the archives  for calking and leaks and read up.

http://www.tompatterson.com/VAC/Listsummary.html

Here's what I did. I used mineral spirits to remove all visible hunks of
caulk, scraping with a wooden tool or fingernails, not metal things that
will scratch. this includes all seams between panels, all things set
into the panels, windows, vents, vent stacks, antenna, AC. there are a
number of different techniques for recalking. First ofall you need the
right stuff, which is Vulkem  in gray:

http://www.airstreamdreams.com/

some folks use Parbond on the seams and Vulkem everywhere else.  I lay
bead down, smooth it with my finger, pushing it into the gap, then wipe
off the excess with mineral spirits and thousands of paper towels,
leaving a small bead behind. Dont' use other caulks, they aren't
designed to be bumped along on a road.

This is a mighty big mess, but when you're done, no more leaks.

Daisy