RE: [VACList] McKesh Mirror?

Greetings Bobby!

I have been using the McKesh Mirrors for about two years, and thus far
no scratches or marks on the finish of my Suburban or Cadillac.  The
contact pads are readily available from the manufacturer at a very
reasonable price; and I just replaced them on both sets of my McKesh
mirrors (a vintage '75 set that I use with the Minuet and Cadillac <the
entire assembly is chrome plated> as well as a modern set for my
Suburban).  The replacement pads along with the webbing ran less than
$30.00 for each set.

Vibration is nearly non-existent with the Cadillac (only about 300 miles
thus far).  There is some nearly imperceptible vibration with the
Suburban, but this is noticed even with the factory mirrors (two GMC
dealers attribute the problem to the aftermarket bug deflector mounted
on the front edge of the hood).  I have the optional convex mirrors on
each of my McKesh mirrors and I find them to be very useful.

Whether or nor the mounts interfere with the window seals is highly
dependent on the vehicle.  On my Cadillac the seal is very flexible and
is easily compressed via the mount so there is absolutely no problem
with the seal.  The Suburban, however, can take a little more juggling -
- the first two times I used the mirrors, it took a little heat from a
heat gun to achieve sufficient flexibility to get the mounting worked
out.  A good friend uses a set on a late model Ford, and resorted to
cutting two slots in the seal to facilitate easier mounting.

I never tow at speeds in excess of 55 MPH, but within my parameters
there have never been any problems.  My longest road trip with the set
on the Suburban has been 700 miles, and with the Cadillac about 100
miles.

I must admit that I didn't purchase either set of my McKesh mirrors new.
Both sets were purchased at the WBCCI International Rally Flea Market at
the Bismarck, ND Rally in 2000.  The 1975 Vintage set were purchased for
less than $40; and the set for the Suburban were purchased for less than
$50.

I have only seen McKesh mirrors offered by a very limited number of
vendors, and the price has always been very close to the price being
offered via the web site.

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359