Re: [VACList] New Airstream Owner

Greetings Jim!

You are correct.  The differential (final drive ratio) for the pre 1979
Eldorado and Tornado can be changed to at best a 3.50 final ratio <at least
according to all of my research thus far> (most have something in the
neighborhood of 2.25 to 2.70 as their final drive ratio factory stock - -
depending upon year, delivery destination, and options).  The upgrade cost
for parts only is approximately $2,000 for the gear drives and half-shafts,
with an additional $250 for the transmission modification kit and high
capacity pan.  If I had known about these components when the car was
disassembled for a new flywheel five years ago, I would have had the parts
installed while in that process; I am going to try with the current setup
and see how everything goes - - if the worse case scenario happens and the
transmissions goes belly-up; one of the companies offeres a completely
remanufactured transmission assembly with the upgrade to the 3.50 final
ratio that will likely be my path of choice.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359