RE: [VACList] New Airstream Owner

Greetings Ivan!

I can share with you what I have learned about my '75 Cadillac, but I am
not familiar with Chrysler products beyond the mid-1960s.  With the
Cadillac, the following has proven to work:

1.  Brake Controller.  Due to the design of the dash, it is not
practical to mount a brake controller within easy reach on the dash
without mutilating a valuable component of the car.  My  solution was to
go with a Hayes-Lemmerz ENERGIZE XPC brake controller with hand held
remote control.  This system permits mounting the controller at the
bottom of the dash where the mounting holes can be easily hidden.  The
remote control unit connects via a coiled cable that can be draped over
the shift lever or placed on the seat next to the driver.  This is the
third such unit that I have used with my Vintage tow vehicles, and I
have been completely satisfied with each.  You can find information
about this controller at:

http://aftermarket.hayes-lemmerz.com/html/energize_xpc.html

2.  Receiver Style Hitch.  This was the most difficult issue to address
as there are no currently available hitches that will fit off-the-shelf.
It took several months of telephoning and talking to various shops
before I located one who's owner was willing to fabricate a hitch for
the Cadillac.  (One shop did indicate that the factory hitch for the
late-model Buick Roadmaster Station Wagon could be adapted by re-routing
the tail pipes.)  The shop that fabricated my hitch specialized in
farm-truck repair, and the owner indicated that he would only install
receiver style hitches on cars with "stout frames" such as the Cadillac.

3. Extended Mirrors.  While there are any number of extended mirrors out
there, I have been absolutely thrilled in all ways with the McKesh
Mirrors that I use with both the Cadillac and '99 Suburban.  You can
learn more about McKesh mirrors at:

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

(Just be prepared if you order anything from the manufacturer that you
will receive a full promotional video and testimonials for the Hensley
Arrow Hitch.)

In case you are wondering about the other modifications that have been
made on the Cadillac, the following modifications were included:

1)  Custom, heavy-duty four-row core radiator.
2)  Heavy-Duty Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Cooler (12,000 pound
capacity).
3)  New, Heavy-Duty Cargo-Coil Springs at all four corners.
4)  New, Heavy-Duty gas charged shock absorbers at all four corners.
5)  New, Heavy-Duty alternator and voltage regulator.
6)  New, Heavy-Duty (high-capacity) water pump.
7)  New, High-Capacity mechanical fuel pump.
8)  Re-Manufactured Delco HEI distributor.
9)  Heavy duty starter with heat shield.
10) Complete transmission service with new finned high-capacity pan.

So far, the only trips have been very short-distance trial-runs with the
Cadillac but everything seems to be proving to work well - - better with
the Minuet than with the Overlander.  If your '75 Cadillac is a model
other than the Eldorado, you will have the desirable option of changing
differential gearing to something more towing friendly.

Good luck with your tow vehicle setup.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359