[VACList] CherryMax rivets - not that hard to use now

True, you can't pull a CherryMax rivet with a pop rivet gun although I've
done it with the very smallest CherryMax rivets diameter wise.  Do you pull
the Olympic rivets with a normal pop rivet gun?  If you do, great.  But as
you've indicated by your statement the Olympic rivets can't be very strong
either compared to the CherryMax type.

Why would you be off for the length needed for the CherryMax if you use the
CherryMax gauge?  They are available at the same place you 'd buy the
CherryMax rivets.  Also, you *should* be pulling the skin together with
tools like Clecos which come in all sorts of varieties and sizes for the
different drilled holes.  With a Cleco or Clecos to pull the skins together
and the CherryMax gauge how can you go wrong?  These tools were invented for
strength although it does take a few minutes to understand both how to use
these tools and you have to know *which* CherryMax rivets you want to use
for a particular job.  Just like anything else really.

Can't get a smooth head with a CherryMax rivet?  I beg to differ.  There is
a very small washer of sorts on top of the CherryMax rivet which is used as
an anvil surface for the gun to pull the stem up and into the rivet.  When
the correct amount of pressure is applied the stem then breaks off and the
washer usually also just falls off, too.  If it doesn't, brush it with the
back of your hand and it will.  Any protruding stem above the head of the
rivet can then be easily filed or sanded off.  As long as you don't sand or
file the head of the rivet itself (I'm not talking just a mark here!) you
will not be taking away from the strength of the fastener.

Clear as mud? ;)

Tom