Re: [VACList] Solar drain

Tom,
 You make a good point about not "cheaping out" (on anything). However,
going way overboard the other way is also uneconomical; most of us don't
need a Medium Duty Truck, or even a 1-ton dually to haul our trailers.

It's unlikely that you can get enough panels on the top of an A/S to require
a 50-amp controller, for instance. And, although you can install bunches of
panels, batteries, inverters, etc. to provide nearly as much power as if you
were "plugged in", it might not make sense to do so. For instance, if we
were to insist on making coffee in an electric pot, we'd probably have to
double the number of panels and batteries over what we have. Makes a lot
more sense to make coffee with the gas stove, IMO.

That's why I said (and Terry confirmed) that you should start off with a
chart of YOUR usage patterns. From there, you determine how much storage you
need; I like to figure on going 3 days with NO charging and not discharging
my battery bank below 50%. Only then can you determine how much solar
charging you need. It should be on the order of Daily Usage + 50% or a bit
more.

Go to a few of the solar energy sites such as
http://www.ajlsolarelectric.com or http://www.rvsolarelectric.com and look
at their worksheets and their products. I'd bet that even a total novice
will spend no more than 8 or 10 hours getting educated enough to make
reasonable decisions. You should be able to do it in half that time.

                                                     <<Jim>>