Re: [VACList] Rivets re:bucked tail diameter, etc

Tom
Now that I'm done with my taxes I can concentrate a little more on this
topic.
I still have the books from my aircraft structural maintenance school and
will get those out and try to put some of it into plan language. After doing
sheetmetal for 20 years you get comfortable with the terms of the trade and
forget how jargon hinders effective communication, so I'll try to put it in
terms you can understand. I may have to send it as an attachment and if so
it will be off list since mojordomo want allow it.
To bad you weren't down here in south GA, I'd help you since I have most all
the hand tools for sheetmetal work. I see Tom mention shooting a rivet from
the reverse (tail) side, this is reverse riveting which is a little tricky
with button head fasteners, but is often done due to accessibility, you can
take a scrap 2x4 (Phenolic works best) and drill a hole in it large enough
to hold the shaft of the rivet set you can shoot the rivet from the stem
side using your flush rivet set.
Also since you bought a rivet gun you can use it for lots of other things,
provided you have different rivet sets or chisels, it is also a good screw
removal tool. If you have an old chisel that fits in the rivet gun you can
cut off the chisel part and grind the end square so you can put a 3/8 apex
holder (holds philips/flat tip screw bits etc.) and then grind two flat
sides about halfway up so you can turn it with a crescent wrench. You
control the amount of pressure and the rotation for removal, works great.
Oh, you want AD rivets.
Take care
Bobby