RE: [VACList] Propane tanks

Greetings Jim!

According to my trusted Airstream dealer's LP Gas service technician,
the LP can and does degrade in quality over time.  The new OPD steel
tanks that I purchased for my Overlander in 1999 were turned down for
installation on my '78 Argosy Minuet last fall when it was discovered
that the gas had been contaminated during the idle storage time of
nearly two years in the rear of my carport.  (I was told that the
contaminated gas would plug orifices in my appliances necessitating
major disassembly and cleaning of the burners on the appliances had the
tanks been connected and used on the trailer.)  The only option
indicated was purging the tanks followed by removal of valves and
physically cleaning the tank interiors - - the cost was going to exceed
the cost of two new steel tanks of similar size.  The "silver-lining"
for me was that in the interim it was discovered that the original tanks
on my Minuet were heavily painted Worthington Aluminum tanks that are
now in the process of being re-certified and fitted with new OPD valves.

Good luck in finding a solution to your tank issue.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359