Re: [VACList] AS leaks

Pete:

I don't know about the video part, but you probably need to recaulk those
windows, and maybe the awning strip.

My proven plan:

1. Get some vulkum...if you can't locate it locally, it's available from
www.airstreamdreams.com

2. Go to the dentist for your 6 month cleaning...After you get the reminders
about brushing and flossing <grin>, ask for any scalers that are worn and
will be discarded...These are the metal tools with the hook on the end that
is used for scraping the tartar off your teeth.  They are exceptionally
strong, yet thin enough to be able to get between the aluminum skin and
window frame.

3.  Get a ladder, grab your scaler and start picking out the old vulkem,
crud and silicone caulk from around the window frames...It's tedious...and
time consuming.  The scaler works well because you have control over where
the point goes...I've tried a paring knife and razor blades also, and they
may come in handy for getting some of the "edges" off, but be careful of
scratching the skin!

4.  Clean up the area to be recaulked with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
Recaulk with vulkem.

I had rivers of water streaming in around those window frames...This, plus
pulling the awning and the riveted awning strip solved my leaks.

The awning strip on the trailer was riveted about every foot...After 30
years of flexing in the wind, opening and closing, those rivets and their
holes got stretched and created "water-suckers."  With the awning open
especially and the breeze flapping it a bit, the pull on the awning strip
rivets caused the strip to move up and down on the rivets, actually pumping
the water that catches above the awning strip, into the trailer.  This was
fixed by removing all, cleaning and replacing the awning strip with rivets
about every 3 inches instead of the original 12" spacing.  Plus vulkem of
course!  I posted photos on the yahoogroups airstream site at (you probably
need to sign in to the list to see the photos)