[VACList] Tail lights and fiberoptics

Jegs sells products made by APC http://www.4apc.net/home_contact.htm
I called them and they do not make an LED lamp that will produce "white" light
when activated.  Only Red and Amber.  that is because DOT does not or has not
approved the mfr of such 1157s.
I am not concerned about polarity as Daisy has pointed out here as brake lights
are 1157s and the LED does not care which way is up - just as long as the right
contacts connect so as to ensure that brake goes to brake, running light goes to
running light.

Problem is that the clear LED made by APC and sold by Jegs does not produce
clear light.  so, if you stick a red producing LED 1157 behind a red AS tail
light lens, then your light production will likely be less than a clear
incandescent.  Does anyone know how to contact DOT to see if this is BS?
I would imagine it is true as this guy acted as if he would love to make the
clear light producing LED/1157 if he could do it.

Maybe we need to find the complete socket with pigtail and a clear light LED in
one -  if that is made.   obviously, I do not think that many of us want to buy
a complete sealed unit with lens and light and so on - that would be prohibitive
in cost  - certainly more than any $10.

ok, that is my contribution - will let others do some looking now.
cheers
chas