Re: [VACList] pex

Scott
I replaced all my water lines with PEX and love it
The biggest expense are the fittings, which I used the flare it type
instead of the crimp. The crimp style is cheaper but the price of the tool
makes up for the difference in cost. Of course you can rent the tool or
borrow one if you know someone that has it. A lot of the new trailers has
the crimp fittings and most people I talk to has little to no problems with
leaks. Not that it matters but I was in RV sales for awhile after my USAF
retirement so I talked to a lot of RVer's (the full timers have a wealth of
info)and used the info I learned in making my decision on which I style I
used.
As for prices on fittings you will be able to get them cheaper at a
plumbing supply store versus Home D, though they may need to order
some that you will need. I looked at all my water lines and kind of
mapped out what I wanted to do and wrote down all that I would need,
then added in a few extra just in case.
Installation wasn't that bad except in areas that I wanted to put
insulation on the lines such as over the wheel wells and under the floor
where it crossed to the other side of the trailer.
I also put in a seperate shutoff valve for blue line (cold) and red (hot) just
in case I ever did have a problem I could take care of it and still have
water if necessary. This was also good time for me to install a water
filter for the entire trailer instead of using one attached outside.
We only made one cold weather trip to North Georgia and only had one
problem, but that was with the water hose hookup. I have since got a
heated hose wrap made up for the water hose that I will use the next
time we go snow chasing, next year.
Bobby