[VACList] Changing the color of the cabinets

All:

I have tested polyurethane acrylic refinishing on my 1973 Tradewind interior
with very good results.  I have refinished my shower, vanity, toilet and
counter tops and all look and perform well after several months of usage.
Several months ago I shared photos of this with several other members of
this list. The products are available for this work, but it is not exactly
an easy do it yourself project.  The products are very toxic and require
fresh air respirators and protective clothing.  Also, they need to be
sprayed with a fine finish spray rig, preferably an HVLP unit.  The finished
product is "like new" and available in any color or clear.  Cost is also a
concern as the products aren't cheap.  I think that cost to have it done
would be comparable to an exterior strip and polish.

A cheaper but easier alternative is to use a primer specially formulated to
make paint stick to plastic.  XIM makes such a product which is commonly
used to paint things like plastic shutters on home exteriors.  This primer
is also toxic so care is needed.  Once primed a standard interior enamel can
be used.  The finish could be applied with a fine foam roller or sprayed.
While this approach is easier and cheaper, the finished product doesn't look
nearly as good and isn't nearly as durable.  It would work on cabinets but
not counter tops, showers, sinks, etc.

Be careful what ever you do because it is very easy to make things much
worse very quickly.

Rick Ellis
1973 Tradewind