[VACList] Busy time at Sarasota

Hi Airstreamers,

This was a busy rally for us with very little time to sit and snooze. We
only attended a total of 9 presentations and seminars. There were at least a
dozen occurring every day.

We had a good long chat with Steve Ruth of P&S Refinishing. I visited with
Walt Barksdale who provides competent service to Airstreamers at his home in
Ocala. We spent several hours with Alan & Julie Lambor of AJL Solar while he
installed our panels.  Arlene of Fowler Interiors updated us on the
excitement in Kentucky. The Zip Dee and Shurflo vendors helped us by
repairing our equipment.  Many friends from previous caravans, rallies and
travels throughout the country made the camaraderie experience particularly
enjoyable.

At the Full Timers Club (FTC) Happy Hour held beside our FTC Editor's (Lori)
Airstream, we learned of novel camping spots around the continent and of two
Airstream dealerships where the service provided was above and beyond the
call of duty. Our Editor's husband (Dave) is a Fantastic Fan installer. He
shared an insider's perspective of this user friendly company.

The Vintage Airstream Get-Together was held late one afternoon. Bert Kalet
publicized it on the fairground bulletin board and mentioned snacks. It
turned out to be supper. Larry Huttle joined us and shared insights into how
the Factory is restoring a dozen Airstreams. Jim Bates from Bates RV shared
his views on Vintage Airstreams (he had one for sale in the FG display area)
and provided a model of a  Vintage Airstream as one of Bert Kalet's many
door prizes. Jim also provided ice cream bars (dessert) for everyone.

The Vintage Airstream Open House occurred on a warm sunny day. The weather
was windy, but that didn't keep crowds of people from descending on the
dozen or more Airstreams open to the general public. No matter how many
times we've been to an Open House, each one is an education for us. I picked
up more ideas to use in our two Vintage Airstreams. This year, I saw my
first 20' Argosy Motor Home. Our VAC President (Rick & Carolyn) and VAC PP
(Forrest & Jeri) showed their extensively restored rigs. Not only did all
owners welcome viewers into their homes, they shared detailed insights into
any aspect of their restoration efforts.  The wealth of information was
awesome.

At the Flea Market, we broke even by only spending money we received from
things we sold at our table. Both Sandie and I came home with "treasures"
which take up very little space. My best buy was $3 for an adapter to use
with my electric drill to raise and lower our BAL jacks - AND to tighten or
release tension on the spring bars to our Hensley hitch.

Sandie's best buy was $3 for 3 bungie cords a yard long and the diameter of
her thumb which will be used temporarily to hold in place our VCR, DVD
player, satellite receiver and TV until I can build a permanent arrangement
that will match the oak used in our Airstream.

The BBQ dinner was more than dinner. It was a time to make new friends and
plan future visits with them.  We were invited to a "real" Texas BBQ by the
family sitting opposite us (Texans Don & Annette) and an offer for a
personalized tour of Amarillo.

The evening programs were fun, especially the magician who was booked only
hours before his program began (the scheduled group cancelled at the last
minute). The entertainment selections were outstanding this year and brought
the crowd to their feet with standing ovations. Each evening's door prizes
were icing on the cake and were followed by ice cream on the way back to our
Airstreams.

During the rally, several people stopped by to see our '89 32' Airstream and
visit with us. Unquestionably, this rally was an enjoyable one for Sandie
and me. The three tasks accomplished for us by Vendors were a considerable
convenience. We'd like to attend this rally again next year.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net