[VACList] Re: Addition of gray water tank

I've been mulling over this same issue for our '73 Safari (23', rear
bath, twin beds).

The previous owner installed beneath the belly pan a series of
interconnected 4" PVC drain pipes; there's an inlet connection for the
grey water sources and a standard 3" RV drain gate near the LR corner
of the trailer. Works OK but it doesn't hold much (~12 g) and is
vulnerable to road damage. And it's all aft of the axles where, having
added a second battery myself, I'd like to remove some weight.

I'm currently thinking about placing two inter-connected equal-sized
tanks under the twin beds. The load would be balanced L-R and be
directly over the axles to keep the F-R distribution neutral. There is
space between the wheel wells and the inside face of the beds' facias
to accommodate standard tanks in the 15-20 g. range (total 30-40 g.)
while sacrificing only one storage drawer on each side. Storage is not
a problem as we'll be pulling out the forced air furnace (replace
w/catalytic) and so reclaim the old furnace and duct spaces. There are
several issues, however: there would be some raising of the center of
gravity (probably not very significant but...); I've not looked at the
structure under there (will be pulling the belly pan in the next couple
of months, for several reasons); the shower drain would be too low to
gravity-drain into the tanks (a small 12 v. pump could handle that, esp
as the shower gets only light use); and I'm not sure whether or not
surge in the tanks (braking, cornering) could be a problem (but they
are made for use in RV, boats, right?)

Any input (esp before I start!) is welcome.

Rob