[VACList] Membership systems - etc

Smart move. If you don't have one of those $20 Radio Shack weather radios,
you might want put that on your birthday wish list. We often use ours when
traveling, especially at rest areas when the sky is foreboding.

We have the $20 cube style in our Airstream. In our truck, we have a weather
radio built into our CB set. It's not as versatile as the continuous tuning
dial on the cube, but it's easier to manage while rolling along.

> Thank you for the link to Escapees Club. They mailed me info, and I've sent in
> for membership. Do you get any kind of kick-back for referrals?

No - just a happy camper sharing the wealth.

> I've read with interest the various threads about solar panels - including
> yours. That's another area I want to explore. I very much want to be as
> self-sufficient as possible when traveling with this outfit. Are there vendors
> for these at International?

Yes indeed. At the Sarasota Rally, it was AJL Electronics. Before the rally
I found out who would be the solar guy at the rally. I called him on his
cell phone in Quartzite to arrange for the installation of my solar panels
at Sarasota. If you really - really want a job done at a convention, it's
prudent to arrange it well in advance of the convention.

> In the Escapees magazine that was sent (Nov/Dec), Rainbow Parks and Co-ops
> were mentioned. What do you know about the co-op in Wauchula?

We put our names on the SKP Park list at Zolfo Springs (near Wauchula) 8
years ago and finally reached the top of the list. But then, we didn't want
to become "settlers" and opted to get our money back and continue our
lifestyle as "explorers."

What do we know about the park? It's representative of SKP parks throughout
the country. We like them and stay at all of them.  In most parks, there's a
$2 boondock section with no hookups. Sometimes we use that - other times, we
spluge the $10 for full hookups - i.e. hot, humid summer days when showers
are a distinct blessing.

> Does "buying in" at, say, one co-op, give the member any advantage while he is
> traveling, such as special entree at other CG's or parks that are part of the
> organization?

Yes, as a member of Escapees RV Club, the membership card must be shown
before we're allowed to stay in any of the Escapees Club campgrounds. The
cost at each park is about the same ($10) with hookups.

We like the attitude pervading all SKP parks.  Our SKP # is 7972. We've been
members since the mid 1980s.

> I've heard that some membership-only CG's use this system. What do you know
> about other "umbrella" groups/organizations?

Not everything, but close to it. We've kept our Coast to Coast membership
current for 15 years and use this option. It is only one of many options we
use. I've written several articles on the topic and they're in Tom
Patterson's archives.

There ARE tricks of the trade which can make using the membership system
more enjoyable and which help us avoid the pitfalls. It took us a year or
two to catch onto them.  I've written about those, too.

There are several membership system organizations. Each is different in
subtle ways, but all of them require money up front to (1) purchase a home
park membership, (2) pay the park's yearly dues and then (3) join the
membership system (pay a yearly subscription fee). This enables us to stay
at 500 or more parks around the continent for $6 a night.

The key to having a membership system that's inexpensive is to pick up a
home park membership that doesn't cost anything. Find one listed on a
campground bulletin board. We see at least two per year that are being given
away. Go into campgrounds you are not staying at and find the bulletin
board. Sooner or later, a free one will be on the board. Then, track it
down. We often find ones with yearly dues around  $150, but if I was you,
I'd prefer one with frozen dues at $99 yearly.

If you're ready for one before you find a free one, go to a re-seller and
pay the $500 for a home park membership and get one with the $99
yearly dues - frozen for life. The re-sellers have those in stock all the
time. If not, go to a different re-seller.

Then enjoy putting your money in the bank - or spending it on your honey
(same difference),

Terry