Re: [VACList] 1962 Trade Wind

Hi Bill,

Here's my answers.

From: "bill rogers" <billrogers@lycos.com>
1962 Trade Wind

> So, I could use some advice:
> 1) What is best, cheapest way to get a replacement toilet?

Are you looking for the *authentic* reproduction year model or will a newer
one do?

> 2) Any advice on getting a better seal on the brass waste gate? (it drips)

You may need to replace the seals at least or get a new gate valve at worst.

> 3) Is flexible plastic piping suitable for re-plumbing the trailer, or do
I need to use copper?

You can use PEX tubing that is certified for both hot and cold water lines.
There will be a crimping tool of at least one or maybe two sizes you will
have to buy if you can't rent one, or two.

> 4) Why did Airstream discontinue the galvanized steel water tank that mine
has? (corrosion?)

Back when those tanks were used they were probably the best thing going at
that time.  Nowadays you can have polypropelene (sp?).  One of the better
features of the plastic tanks are that you can weld them or you can have
that done for you which is what I'd advise you to do; make you a custom
tank.

> 5) Did this model have a 12V battery system and, if so, where was the
battery stored? (There are leads in the box behind the propane tanks, but I
was told these were just for the breakaway brake system. I saw a 1966 model
that stored battery in the rear quarter panel, where 110V outside power cord
is stored.)
> Any and all responses are greatly appreciated. Thanks much,
> Bill Rogers

Can't help you with the placement of the battery but maybe someone has a
schematic they'd copy to you.

Tom