Re: [VACList] 1975 Argosy Questions

Greetings Mike!

The Argosy is an Airstream product and was manufactured from 1973 through
1989.  The particular vintage that you mention would have an all aluminum
exterior with the exception of the front and rear exterior domes which are
galvanized steel.  The Argosy line was manufactured in Versailles, OH, and
was often thought of as a test-bed for features and options that would one
day be found in the regular Airstream lineup.    An example of this
expermentation was the motorhome - - it was first introduced as an Argosy
and later was introduced into the Airstream lineup - - I believe that the
wrap-around front wing windows were another example of a feature that was
first tried on the Argosy.

The Argosy coaches have most of the features that were available on
Airstreams, but some features were options rather than standard equipment as
may have been the case with sister Airstream products.  The basic utilities
were the same or very similar for both lines - - Dometic refrigerators,
Atwood water heaters, PAR water pumps, Univolt power converters, etc.  In
'75 the 22' coach would have been a standard width, single axle coach of the
shortest length offered that year.  If it has been mis-identified over the
years, it could be a later model which could make it a Minuet which would be
a 6" narrower than standard coach in the next to the smallest Argosy size.
The way to verify the identity is to check the serial number:

           22D5V####

In the case above, the 22 represents the advertised length of the trailer
(actual measurement may be slightly greater or less), the D represents the
sleeping arrangements (D=Double or T=Twin), the 5 represents the last digit
of the model year, and the V represents the production plant (Versailles,
OH).  The digits following the V would be the sequential production number.

So far as restoration is concerned, it isn't much different from restoring
an Airstream.  The biggest difference it that the big issue is painting
rather than polishing the exterior.  Many of the general wear parts are
still available through Airstream dealers, and the appliances can be
replaced with modern equivalents where necessary.  The Argosy doesn't seem
to be as highly prized by most collectors, but there is a certain following
developing - - especially among the Argosy Motorhomes and Argosy Minuets.
It also seems that the smaller single axle Argosys are gaining popularity as
a less costly alternative to similarly sized Vintage Airstreams.
Restoration, at least in my experience is very comparable to the cost for an
Airstream - - professional repainting seems to be very nearly as costly as
professional polishing on the Airstream - - I am just waiting to find out
whether it is easier to Walbernize and maintain an Airstream with
plasticoat - - or maintain the painted finish on an Argosy.

I have really been enjoying discovering the similarities and differences
between the two coaches that I own.  The Argosy has a number of features
that make it a fun little weekend coach, and the Overlander was and still is
my dream-stream.

Good luck with your decision!  At least according to my experience
purchasing my Minuet last fall, the price you indicate is within a rather
normal range (I am located in the Midwest near Davenport, IA) for the
Vintage and size involved provided the major systems are all
functional/operational.

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado (Towcar-In-Training)