[VACList] Re: VACList - Laying aluminum panel over damaged panel

Wayne - it sounds like you are getting a lot of different angles on this
question - and it's an interesting topic.

Here's my two cents.

Please note - I'm thinking theoretically - as I've never had a trailer
repaired - my thoughts are those of a "sidewalk superintendent".

I too would question the concept of moisture being trapped between two tight
layers.

I am sure that the aluminum overlaps somewhat in many places during original
construction - and it does not necessarily allow for moisture to build up
and remain for long periods of time.

But -  to overlap two layers (from what I understand you are proposing - the
two layers would basically be one directly on top of the other) over a large
area - to my way of thinking - would "conceivably allow for moisture to
"potentially" be trapped.  I am not suggesting that this would be a
problem...but it seems (when it comes to Murphy's Law...) that it "could"
add up to a problem at some point in the future.

For instance - what if you are in a warm/humid area - might it not be
possible for trapped moisture to mold/mildew or otherwise turn into a
"chemistry project"?

Also - from the way I understand it - the skin of an Airstream is an
integral part of the construction - and by "doubling" the skin (at least
over a large area) wouldn't you be adding considerable weight to the rig -
in that area -  and possibly in doing so create an imbalance on the
suspension?

Also - from doubling the skin (at least over a large area) wouldn't it be
conceivable that you'd create a different "strength" to that area of the
shell - and in doing so - create an out of balance tension to the overall
unit - and thus cause it to "flex" in a way that it was not designed to?
(and thereby run the chance of "overworking" another part of the
body/chassis that is more flexible?)

From the way it's been talked about - I get the impression that an Airstream
body flexes as it rides over the road - depending on the road conditions
etc - and that the "flex" is an allowed/intended part of the design.

Again - my thoughts are not official - just thoughts. I don't even own an
Airstream (yet) - but I've read a great deal of input on them - and my
thoughts are derived from a lot of what people who are already involved with
Airstreams have shared to date.

As far as the trapped moisture thing goes - I deal with allergies 24/7 and
that is something I have to think about all the time - and I will go to
great lengths to insure that my environment is as free (as reasonably
possible) of moisture related problems.

Airstreams are known for leaking...nothing is perfect - and when you add
repairs that are not a part of the original equation - and (if) the person
or persons who do the repairs are not understanding of the "greater whole"
the "potential" for leaks (and other problems) only grows.

If what I just said sounds mysterious - my point is - when repairing
something that is damaged - (I'm talking generally here...not just about
trailers) all too often the actual damage site (the visible damage) is all
that gets repaired ....when all too often there is secondary damage lurking
outside (beyond) the visible damage zone...and if that damage is not tended
to - it may come back to bother you at a later date - particularly if it's a
structurally related thing.

Well - I'd better sign off now - as I'm sure there is a construction project
in my neighborhood that I need to walk by and check out!

Best wishes from a confirmed sidewalk superintendent.  RL