RE: [VACList] 12 volt dc circuit

Greetings Dawson!

If your '64 Trade Wind is original in its wiring layout, there is a
switch located in the "one-stop" service compartment to switch between
city power and battery power - - if it isn't functioning properly it
could result in the problem you are describing.  The switch should be
found in the rear streetside corner just inside the rear compartment
door.  Mine was marked with arrows indicating "City" and "Battery" for
power.  There is (or was on my coach) a red light that is designed to
illuminate if there is a problem with polarity.  After it was discovered
that the switch was problematic it was also found that my old Univolt
was also failing so both were replaced with a new converter that
switches automatically.

I am afraid that there is no service manual available for this Vintage
Airstream, and it was the first year for the Owner's Manual.  The
Owner's Manual, at least for my Overlander, is very generic in its
treatment of most all systems.

Good luck in finding the source of your problem.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359