[VACList] Re: axle replacement and load rating

I'm with Dr. J on the issue of load rating.  I would
go with a SLIGHTLY lower rating, rather than a higher
one.  If overload is your concern, be sure they are
built with plenty of extra clearance (higher starting
angle).

As I mentioned some time ago, I found relatively
little difference between new and old coaches when I
measured deflection under dynamic loads.  So, I think
they're pretty stiff even when new.

I also concur that the elastomer itself may provide
adequate damping.  But of course, the only way to know
for sure is to try it.  Look at it this way: how many
coaches more than 15 years old have working shocks in
them?  Is this a real problem, or not?  Everyone has
to decide this for themselves and live with the
results.

Replaceable cartridges sound like the ideal insurance
against loss of damping over time.  But, there are
other aspects of that particular design that I don't
like as much.

My apologies if this is somewhat rambling, but I
thought I'd add my $0.02 worth to a topic that
involves so many coaches.

Jon in SC