[VACList] limited use of solar

Hi Dick,

If you haven't checked with www.rvsolarelectric.com, why don't you do that?
Noel Kirkby was using solar panels when you and I were young men. In my
personal experience with him at his place of business (3 times) in
Scottsdale, AZ and at Escapades (twice),  he has been a most honest and fair
business man, plus he freely shares his abundant knowledge.

I would suggest you subscribe to his free "solar planner" and call his 800
number to speak with Bob Brown (sales and marketing) for the latest "good
deal" on panels. Occasionally, they have used panels.

The three panels (2 amps each) on our '77 31' were 10-15 years old when I
bought them and I've used them for 15 years. Today, they are still working
fine and that includes weathering several hail storms with "hard golf ball"
size stones pelting the panels.

As I've mentioned in previous articles, our deep cycle marine batteries
typically last seven years. Last year, we sold one of our four Airstreams
(all with solar panels) so I've lost track of those batteries. But, I know
the battery history of the other three.  I mention this only because I buy
the cheapest deep cycle marine battery I can find at the time and brand name
is not a consideration.  The last set I bought cost less than $60 each (Wal
Mart) before sales tax so you can see they weren't a big money item.

The nice part about solar panels in the winter is they keep the batteries
charged even with three feet of snow on them.  I don't bring them inside and
no one checks the water level while we're away during the winter.

Why do I mention this? In my opinion, one 25-30 year old solar panel could
more than meet your needs as you described them.

You may have seen my comment (01/16/03) about our new (to us) '89 32'
Airstream. Disappointedly, it does not have solar panels on it. I hope to
change that at the Florida State Rally during February in Sarasota. Based on
our past experience, my current plan is buy two panels (preferably 4 amps
each) new or used.

Hope these ideas help,

Terry

PS - We're at the Escapees RV Club Campground in Bushnell, Florida ($10 a
night for full hookups) where night time temperatures are forecast below
freezing. We don't intentionally choose to boondock during freezing weather
if we can help it.