Re: [VACList] Optima (GEL) Battery

Bobby,
I was doing some work on some prototype electric scooters last year for a
client. We tried a variety of batteries in these vehicles and discovered
that the optima yellow caps worked the best. They will take a lot of abuse.
One of the nice things about them is that they can't be spilled. You can
orient them any way you like and they work great. You can even punch a hole
through them and they won't leak.  I've installed three of them under one of
the bunks on my 59 Ambassador International and they haven't given me a bit
of grief. If you've got the money, go for it. You won't regret it. The
original battery on my trailer is located in an aluminum box riveted onto
the front of the trailer. Over the years acid has spilled, leaked and spit
all around this area and the aluminum requires a lot of work to look good.
This box will be a tool box by spring and I will be glad to get rid of the
low amp hour tractor battery that doesn't cut it.
Hope this helps you out.
PS I also installed two of them in my 87 Suburban 6.2 liter Diesel with a
Banks "Sidewinder" Turbo. No problems starting it either.
Colin Hyde