Re: [VACList] axle replacement

Hi Dick and Chas,

Sure don't want to get flamed, so I'll try not to write anything
controversial.  I understand that derating involves shortening the length of
the cartridge, what ever that means.

Dexter and other manufacturers have standard weight axles.

Southwest Wheel notes that 2K, 3.5K, 5.2K, and 7K # axle capacities are
available.  "Certain axles may be adapted to smaller loads by reducing the
length of the rubber
cartridge."  The cartridge is replaceable, so changing weight might be
possible after installation.  However, I note that there is a substantial
difference in the size of the axle tube for my derated #10 and derated #11
Dexter axle tubes.  The Southwest representative I discussed replacement of
original Airstream axles with, felt that his axle is stronger and has
advantages over the original axle.

The Dexter axle #11(6 inch arm) I'm considering ordering for my '69 Safari
23 foot will
be derated from 6K to 5.5K pounds; whereas, the original Henchen axle is
rated at 5K pounds.  The weight cannot be changed after the axle assembly is
manufactured.  The LT235/75R15 "D" load tires are 2335#s.  Guess this means
that the max load on the tires at 65 psi is 4670 pounds.  Seems that the
5.5K pound axle would provide adequate safety.

The most efficient starting angle is 22 degree down.  The frame height at
full load is 15.9 inches, half load 17.0 inches, and no load is 18.2 inches
for my Safari with the derated Dexter axle.   Not a whole lot of range of
movement.   I took the tow-in and camber specifications from  the '72
Airstream service manual.  An unknown is the range of movement of the
original axle.

I plan to use the original axle tube notch in the axle mounting plate and
drill new holes.  The new axle should slip right in without a problem.  With
appropriate strength bolts, I shouldn't have a problem.  At a future date,
if Henchen replacement axles are competitively priced, replacement with
original equipment won't be a problem.

Then, every once in a while, I reconsider the Southwest Wheel axles - Hmmmm
.  .  .

The suggested price of a hub to hub assembly, including shipping to my
residence in Southern VA, is about $470.  I still have to work out the shock
mount
installation.  Welding on the torque arms after delivery will void the
factory warranty.  Each axle for my '74 Argosy is estimated to cost a
hundred dollars less and the total might be $750 for both axles.

The hope this helps,

                     Regards, '69 Safari, Joy