Re: [VACList] White Laminate Tambour Alternatives

Hi Kevin,

FIRST - Theoretically, any Airstream dealer can order them from the factory.
BUT, you and I both know that doesn't always occur, plus when I was at Oasis
RV in Tucson (Airstream dealer), I learned their tambour inventory varied by
the batch. Granted, there was a minor difference and probably not
discernible to the average viewer, but I saw a difference.

When I realized the most noticeable difference was where the fabric could be
seen between the slats, I used spray wax and Voila` --- the difference was
no more. The spray darkened the fabric just enough to make it match the
other tambour in our Airstream.

Why do I mention this? If you find tambour that is almost a match, keep in
mind there may be ways to modify it to match perfectly.

SECOND - When I replaced the large center piece of tambour under our sink, I
salvaged it by cutting off the broken, cracked and chipped edges. I then
used that piece (it looked very similar to the new stock) when I replaced a
SMALLER section and again Voila` --- it looks like new. Now is three years
later and the section with my salvaged piece still looks like it belongs
there (with no chips, cracks, bulges or buggered edges).

Why do I mention this? Your original laminate is worth something. For
example, it can be cut up into pieces and sent to vendors for comparison
with what they are selling (before you buy it and see for yourself that the
match is poor).  Even if you temporarily transition to a color hue that's
not exactly what you want (so you have a functional section of tambour),
those pieces can still be sent out (or carried in your truck) for
comparision each time you learn about another out-of-state lead or stumble
onto another source (an old Argosy behind a farmer's barn).

Kevin, dollars to donuts you've already asked Florence (at Fogdalls) if she
can get the tambour for you and she said, "no." BUT - you've been around
long enough to know you need to keep asking until you find someone who says,
"yes."

If it were me asking your specialized question, I'd start chasing down old
time parts guys who were already experienced problem solvers during 1978.
One of those guys is Jay at Oasis RV.  There are others. Charlie Burke may
be one of them although I've never met him. The material you want is laying
on a shelf somewhere just gathering dust.

THIRD - This idea is one I know you are already doing. Keep looking for
another 1978 Argosy Minuet (in any condition) so you'll have your own
personal parts supply shed on wheels. Haunt the classifieds, check the junk
yards, look behind fences when you see a silhouette, take the scavengering
mindset to new heights.  You are a very observant person. If anyone can find
the needle in the haystack, I'd place odds on you.

Good luck,

Terry

PS -  We're at the St. Lucie Locks COE campground in Stuart, FL with a full
frontal view of the river traffic going into and coming out of the Lock.
There are eight campsites and a dozen yacht berths. All are full (heavy rain
is forecast for the next two days).  The three tent sites are vacant.
There's a large covered pavilion for everyone's use. It's fun visiting with
families who travel by yacht.  They are folks we would not ordinarily meet.