Re: [VACList] White Laminate Tambour Alternatives

Greetings Ken!

I have been trying to avoid the painting option if at all possible - - the
one thing that I have been considering is splurging on white oak tambour and
pickling it so that it will nearly match the off-white of the laminate.  I
still haven't entirely ruled out the brushed aluminum tambour, and have
inquired of the manufacturer regarding special needs regarding the mounting
tracks.  I also asked the same manufacturer about the availability of white
or off-white laminate tambour - - they carry some but all of their products
show dark edges where the slats are beveled and I really want to retain the
consistent white/off-white color if I don't go with the brushed aluminum
tambour.

Since I am not doing the tambour restoration myself, I am trying to minimize
the amount of labor required for the job, so I am not actively considering
trying to repair the tambours that haven't begun to disintegrate.  Casual
observation would suggest that regluing to a stiff canvas material and then
resizing the tambour for its opening might remove the bulge, but my concern
is the logevity of the material given the presence of serious cracking,
fraying, splitting, and splintering in three of the six roof locker tambours
in my Minuet.  I can't account for the explanation, but the tambour in the
medicine cabinet as well as below the bathroom sink seems to be nearly
perfect.  The woodtone veneer tambour below the kitchen sink also has fared
much better than the off-white tambour in the roof lockers.

Thanks for the input - - this is still a decision in process!

Kevin

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
(Towcar-in-Training)