Re: [VACList] Tank Repacement

Greetings Jamie!

The original tanks on your Sovereign were likely 30 pound units, but it is
possible that they may have been 40 pound as they were likely optional on
your coach when it was new.  The least expensive replacement tanks would be
steel, but they will require periodic painting and are quite a handful when
removing for transportation to the refill station.  In my experience, the
steel tanks will likely cost about 50% of the aluminum.  Aluminum tanks are
nice in that they can be polished to match the trailer - - and they are so
much lighter to handle when shuffling tanks for refilling.  When I purchased
aluminum tanks for my '64 Overlander, I upgraded from steel 30 pound tanks
to Worthington Aluminum 40 pound tanks - - the only drawback has been that
the height of the tanks prevent opening the front window completely, but it
is worthwhile to me as I hated the process of removing and reinstalling the
tanks for filling.  The 40 pound aluminum tanks are lighter than the 30
pound aluminum tanks when they are filled making them much easier to manage.

When I purchased my steel tanks new in 1998, I found my best price by
calling around to local RV repair facilities as well as LP gas dealers.
Found the tanks from a SkellGas dealer for $79.00 each including OPD valves
and the first LP fill.  The pair of Worthington 40 pound tanks were
approximately $300.00 delivered from AirstreamDreams.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
(Towcar-In-Training)