Re: [VACList] rv refridgerators

Hi Lexxy,

Lexxy wrote:

> I was wondering if most everyone who renovates an Airstream still uses
> the gas/ammonia refridgerator or do some folks just get a small electric
> fridge to hook up with the electricity?

A number of folks I know of are doing exactly that.  Our bubble has a gas
only Dometic that has yet to be tested, and is obviously an aftermarket
addition.  If it doesn't work, I am considering one of the 12 volt Peltier
cooler/reefers as a replacement.

> I only plan to use my trailer
> where there is a hook up and I don't mind toting stuff in a cooler for a
> while to keep it cool or using blue ice or even dry ice.

Even with a small electric "dormitory" fridge, the peltier cooler is a good
way to go.  In the Sovereign we use frozen milk jugs of our own well water
in the fridge to keep it cool, and plug the (Coleman) peltier cooler into
the trailer's 12 volt outlet for the stuff that needs to be kept cold, such
as meat, milk, etc.

> If I just get
> an electric fridge I would just cap off the gas line right?  Or should I
> have a plumber do it?

Yes, a cap or plug in the appropriate place in the gas line is the way to
go.  If your comfort level with gas piping is not high, I'd let a plumber do
it.  Any plugging or capping should be done OUTSIDE the coach for exactly
the same reason that the piping is below the belly skin.  To keep any
potential leaks where they will do the least amount of harm.  Also, teflon
tape thread lube is a genuine NO-NO with gas.  Get pipe dope rated for gas
service from the supply house.

> Since I am not using the furnace I suppose I
> should have it capped off too.  The gas fridge isn't just expensive,
> it's complicated and heavy!!!

Not very energy efficient either!

> Is there anything I need to consider in
> using a small electric fridge in an A/S?

As long as you have a power source in reasonable reach you should have a
simple installation.  If not, getting the wiring where you want it could
mean dropping interior panels.  Not quite as much fun as getting poked in
the eye with a sharp stick, but doable.

> Lexxy

Good luck,
Matt