Re: [VACList] sway bar (brands)

David,

First of all, if your trailer does not ride level you really need to get the
proper "deep drop" hitch.

Weight distribution bars are the things that attach to the hitch on either
side of the ball. They attach to the trailer with the chains and bracket
mounted on the trailer frame.

Sway bars attach to the hitch on a small ball located next to the main ball.
It attaches to the frame of the trailer and there is some sort of lever that
you crank down to make it difficult for the bar to pass through.

Reese uses a system that combines the weight distribution bars and sway
control. It is called a dual cam. You can tell these because they do not have
a chain on the trailer end, but attach to the trailer via a stirup that is
attached to the trailer's frame.

The use of weight distribution bars are generally always recommended.
Especially with a car, SUV, or 1/2 ton truck. Perhaps the only time you would
not need them is if you have a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle and a small trailer.
The bars place weight back onto the front wheels of the tow vehicle and
generally improve the ride quality of the tow vehicle along with the stability
of the whole vehicle combination.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup that I tow with. The tongue weight of my trailer is
only about 500 pounds. While I really do not NEED the weight distrib bars, I
DO use them. Why? An improved ride! I have them lightly sprung, just enough
to bring the front bumper back down to where it sits when unhitched.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander. Yikes, I have been towing this thing for 25 years now!