[VAC] Re: What if it freezes and I'm not prepared?

Hi Don,

Being quite new to towing in freezing weather, I have experienced Texas Pan
Handle weather in December.  Like near 0 degrees the time we passed through
while traveling in a conversion van with only an electric heater for
survival.  Not a fun experience!  Anyway, if you are looking back through
the achieves, you should find many references to frozen and burst pipes that
happen while on the road, not only while parked in a camp!!!

Airstream had a great idea to direct hot air from the furnace to the holding
tanks, behind the bathroom panels to warm the plumbing, and upfront in the
water pump area.  Guess these come and go with different years.
Unfortunately, you might be traveling for many hours in a day through
freezing temperatures without the heater being on.  No chance to leave the
water pump running continuously to keep pipes from freezing?  Nothing like
shifting 200+ pounds of upfront water to the holding tanks to cause your
trailer to shake it's head a bit.  Might be OK with a shore hookup.  Even
campgrounds shut the water off and drain lines when the freeze hits.

So, my recommendation is to become a dry camper when you expect it to
freeze - that is, drain the lines!  One thing I think might turn out to be
neat is the PEX doesn't transfer heat like copper does.  I noticed that the
foam insulation on the copper plumbing in my Safari had long ago
deteriorated.  Might be a good idea to inspect your pipes and restore this
insulation with modern stuff.  This might slow the freeze.  Anyway, the
water heater shouldn't freeze due to the large volume, nor should the
potable water tank.  Frozen holding tanks would be nasty, dump 'em and add
some antifreeze?

I find that disconnecting the shower hose and opening the mixing valves
immediately drains the lines if I open the system drain valve.  The shower
mixer lines freeze first because they have small diameter and the lack of
heat.  The toilet flush valve is another that is easily damaged by a freeze
and is a simple matter to drain.  I still worry about the water pump due to
it's location and exposure.  I'm thinking of putting a foam cap over it.

It seems to me that one of the pre-travel preparations would be to drain the
lines, not necessarily blow them out.  If you absolutely must have water,
the potable water tank should pump water back to the faucets.  If the hot
and cold water lines run clear, then the hot water tank could be heated and
the by pass opened.

In my Argosy, the furnace heating ducts to the holding tanks were long ago
broken off by past owners.  Also, past maintenance removed the insulation
and baffles around the holding tanks.  If you notice a similar situation in
your Airstream, use caution in freezing weather.  The convection around
plumbing while underway will chill pipes and holding tanks much more rapidly
than in still air.

IMHO, DRAIN THE PIPES IF  YOU EVEN THINK IT MIGHT FREEZE, ESPECIALLY WHEN
YOU'VE REMOVED THE FURNACE AND DEFEATED ALL ATTEMPTS BY AIRSTREAM ENGINEERS
TO KEEP YOU PLUMBING FROM FREEZING.  DRAIN THE PIPES, DRAIN THE PIPES!  AN
ELECTRIC OR CAT HEATER JUST WON'T DO THE JOB!

                                                  Regards, '74 Argosy, Joy