[VAC] Re: Optima Battery

I know that Optima makes AGM batteries -- the Sparrow electric car uses them -- but perhaps they also make batteries that are not AGMs. Regarding AGMs, this is from the Backwoods Solar Electric site:

<< SEALED BATTERIES  Gel or AGM (absorbed glass matt) types damage easily from overcharge, and so should be used with a 3 stage charge control. Sealed batteries can be excellent deep cycle alternative energy batteries, cleaner and safer, but only if charging is precisely controlled. >>

High-quality chargers and charge controllers have one voltage setting for lead-acid batteries, and a lower setting for sealed batteries. I have one from West Marine with this feature.

Best regards,

Rik