[VAC] Yukon tow vehicle

We just bought a 2002 GMC Yukon with the 5.3 litre engine and the 4.1
rear end.

We had been using our 1999 Yukon Denali to tow our 30 foot 1968
Sovereign International.  However we towed in 3rd rather than overdrive
as recommended on the list.

The new Yukon has a "tow/haul" mode that delays the shift pattern etc.
GMC clearly says that it is OK to tow in "Drive" without having to be
careful and tow in 3rd.

Has anyone had any experience with the newer GMC transmissions, and do
you think it is safe to tow in "Drive" with a 2002 or 2003 Yukon?

Robert Ramsay
1968 30'  Sovereign International
Victoria,  B.C. Canada