[VAC] Re: tow vehicle

Greetings Marc!

Think twice before attempting such a move with your Dart.  As equipped,
your Dart would be towing more than six (6) times it trailer towing
limit as recommended by the factory.  Even with the largest available V8
and the trailer towing package, you would be at least twice (2) the
maximum trailer towing limit suggested by the factory.

The unit body on your Dart simply would not be up to the stresses of
towing a rig the size that you propose.  Given my recent experience
having a receiver hitch fabricated for my 1975 Cadillac, I don't think
that you would be able to find a reputable hitch shop that would
consider fabricating a hitch with sufficient weight carrying capacity
for your Dart. I have a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 with the 383 c.i. V8, and
I would hesitate to tow my '64 Overlander with it even though it has the
heavy duty factory tow package and has been used to tow a 4,000 pound 19
foot travel trailer in the past.

The factory trailer tow rating of your Dart was a maximum of 1,000
pounds with the slant six.  With the full factory tow package and the
largest available V8, the maximum trailer tow rating was either 3,000 or
3,500 pounds.  The only reason that I am familiar with these ratings is
that I considered trading my Dodge Coronet on a 1970 Dart with the full
trailer tow package.

Good luck with finding a suitable tow vehicle for your Airstream!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359