[VAC] Re: Stripping vinyl off '74 walls

Stripping vinyl off '74 wallsThe vinyl is glued onto the aluminum skin.
What is "vinyl-clad aluminum"? I've never heard that term. I've heard
of 'clad aluminum' but that refers to a pure layer of aluminum on top to
deter corrosion.

A heat gun might get too hot and vinyl does burn after all, so be
careful if you go that route. The 3M product I mentioned in an earlier
post will disolve the contact cement that is the bond between the
sheetmetal and the vinyl material.

Mechanical means to remove this vinyl? Other that a non-marking scraper
made of phenolic material I'd never recommend a "wire brush or sanding".
That method you suggest would surely make the aluminum skin just about
unusable not to mention unsightly. When do you quit with the wire brush
and begin with the sander? I won't say "what are you thinking?" but I
am thinking that to myself. ;)

To paint this vinyl covering you'd first have to get ALL the film
residue off. This would include tobacco nicotine and other such nasty
stuff. However, I would think it would be very difficult to find
anything that would stick to old vinyl. Chemical changes in the vinyl
itself over the years may preclude you from painting this plastic
material.

If you were ever to find a paint that would stick to vinyl it's my
opinion that you'd first need to apply a very good primer to both stick
to the vinyl AND hold the paint on.

Tom in NC
WBCCI 5303