[VAC] Re: Stripping vinyl off '74 walls

Tom,

"Vinyl-clad aluminum" is the term Airstream used in my official 1976
Airstream Service Manual to describe the material used to make the
inner shell panels.

"Clad" simply means a covering. Not necessarily referring to a metal
covering. "Vinyl-cladding" is just that -- a covering of vinyl. In the case
of the 70's inner skin panels, there is no glue holding the vinyl on -- the
vinyl is directly bonded to the aluminum. I doubt a scraper could get
under it. And I doubt a glue solvent would soften it.

Maybe a strong paint solvent would work, I don't know.

Like Andy also said in another post, trying to remove it would most
likely end up as an exercise in frustration. I'm not saying it can't be done,
I'm saying the undertaking would be huge.

Jimbo / '76 Sovereign