[VAC] Re: Electrical Mystery Part II

> Yosef Rosen wrote:
> Initially, I measured 10.75 VD

for all practical purposes, this is dead.

C from the uncharged disconnected
> battery (it had been disconnected for a while). When I reconnected the
> battery to the system the battery voltage went to zero.

This proves the battery is dead.

All three low-voltage circuits seemed to be drawing power or shorted so
> disconnected all the low-voltage circuits and tested them
> individually. After the Univolt was powered up and with just the
> battery drawing charge current, main DC voltage rose to about 11.5

The battery voltage while being charged will be about 1 volt above the
voltage when not being charged.

I would think that the univolt is working. This is close to spec. Some
older univolts are 11.5 volt.
Let it charge over night it should come up to about 12.5 volt.

> I reconnected the leads and tested each low-voltage circuit one at a
> time.
Circuit A, the bottom auto-resetting-breaker drew about 1 amp

This is probably a light bulb. An 1147 draws 1.1 amp

> (even though all the appliances and lights were off)
Circuit B (the
> middle one according to the manual schematic) drew about 3.5 Amps.
> Circuit C was off the charts (my multimeter works to 10A).
I would suspect the water pump with out enough power to make it run. It
will look like a dead short. Disconnect the water pump and also check
to see if the furnace is on.
This looks like a motor stalled.

> I thought that maybe I just had a bad battery, but then why wouldn’t
> it work using shore power?…worse yet,

is my Univolt fried?
I do not think so.>

Bill