Re: 1966 Window breakage prevention

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on the 1966 Overlander. Regardless of the windows, that was
a good year for Airstreams. You asked about keeping the windows from
breaking. We have a 1967 Safari with the same "frame less" windows. Here are
a few additional caveats for your list.

- We NEVER walk away from the trailer with any of the side windows open.
Maybe I'm sticky about being attentive to who comes near our side windows,
but that's the way it is.

- We attach two clothes pins with a strip of surveyor's ribbon hooked under
the spring - to each window when they're open. Some folks get really fancy
with spiraling multicolored streamers.

- We NEVER leave either side window open when the awning is being raised or
lowered. The clearance of the front awning arm to our front side window when
it's open - is inches at best.

- We NEVER open a side window to its widest point. That was learned after
having two elbow mechanisms break. They are made out of soft pot metal. Even
though broken, the mechanism allowed the window to be closed tightly or
opened partially. Nevertheless, it was another thing to replace and another
consideration to keep in mind each time the window was opened a little.

Paul, if you don't already have a couple of spare elbows, put them on your
"to buy" list. They cost almost $15 new (made of strong aluminum), but
we've found them at the WBCCI International Convention Flea Market for $2
each (same old pot metal). The pot metal ones are better than broken
ones.

As an aside, the International Convention flea market has been my richest
source over the years - for small vintage Airstream parts, i.e. catches for
cupboard doors ($0.10 each) and other memorabilia, i.e. a coffee cup with a
man on a bicycle towing a small Airstream ($0.50 cents).

The coffee mug was tooooo goooood to pass up. I'd have paid $20 or more for
that puppy. The man on the mug could have been me - ever since I did the
same thing at the Dayton, Ohio International Convention. There were six of
us who had the opportunity to get on the bicycle and tow the trailer. The
picture of me actually on the bike towing the Airstream is framed and has
more sentimental value than most non-Airstreamers would ever consider
reasonable.

Keep us posted occasionally. Tell us all of us about your progress, what
you're doing, how it's coming and what's next. Fresh perspectives can lead
to new learning about any aspect of restoration. Each of us on the VAC
list is still interested in that thread.

Maybe a couple of these caveats will save a side window,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net