[VAC] Re: First real towing of the '74 Argosy

I think there's a mis-reading of others' posts about the effect of
semis.  The Hensley does not and can not prevent the bow wave from
affecting your tow vehicle.  As you say, that's a small effect.  I believe
the posts you were referring to only claim that they - as you - don't
notice any induced sway from the bow wave on the trailer.  Your experience
is the same as mine - a slight sway as the bow wave hits my Suburban.  If
my posts have misled you, then I apologize.  I, too, had a very different
experience with the Reese hitch (on a different trailer).  I expect that
those towing with duallys will experience less of this sway than those not
using a dually.

>I did have some difficulty doing the hookup as the draw bar would slide into
>the Hensely receiver and then lock as the taper entered.  Finally had to
>withdraw and try a slightly different angle to accomplish hookup.  Doesn't
>look pretty to observers when they understand that it was taking a half hour
>for a simple hookup on flat/level ground! :(

         It's sometimes difficult at first, and you are having the same
learning curve as the rest of us.  My experience is that it's very
important *never* to touch the tongue jack until the spring-bars have been
loosened to "just floppy and a little bit."  That sets the angle at which
you unhooked into the hitch system.  I also only worry about backing in
until I can engage the toggles; then, leaving the truck in reverse at idle,
I use them to pull the hitch the rest of the way in.
         Joy, I hope you love living in your trailer.  Those experiences on
I-10, combined with posts from others about I-10, have convinced me not to
use it west of Florida...You've scared me silly with your description of
the semis trying not to skish your truck. ;-)
- Dick
(5368)