[A/S] Re: [VAC] Re: What to do with tired dingy zolatone

    Thanks to encouragement and sources from Rob & Shari Davis, and
instructions from John & Jodi Guerin, I have just last Friday painted my '64
Globetrotter with Zolatone, and am fairly pleased with the results. Those
who saw it at the Rally in Estes Park  would have seen the stripped-out
shell, with the original brownish Zolatone that was covered with a sprayed
on Off-white/yellow latex flat paint.
I was able to find a local source for two gallons, plus a gallon of special
acrylic primer. Not cheap at $71/gallon, $15 for the primer. I had faith
that it was a good product and bit the bullet.
Although they specify which paint gun to use, I took my chances with a good
quality pressure feed gun from Harbor Freight tools, and had good results
after some initial practice with the gun with plain paint on some garage
cabinets. In actuality, it was the primer that was more difficult to apply,
(two coats) than the Zolatone. My 5 hp/30gal compressor was just able to
keep up the pressure needed.
 We went with a pretty light basic color waterbase which has low VOC and
cleans up with water. When you open it, you can see the globules of other
colors. It gets really wierd when you pour it, it is like curdled milk, not
paint. But it went on fairly easy, and I will do some touch up of thin
spots, but one coat was one gallon for my 19 footer.
So, it is do-able if you are up for a project, or want to get somebody to
spray it. Never easier than when the trailer is empty, as mine is.
Good Luck,
 Jere Potter
Fort Collins, CO
'64 Globetrotter