[VAC] releasing the spring on a faulkner awning

I was warned by some folks to be very careful about
releasing the spring tension when replacing the awning
fabric (thanks!).  However, I have not been able to
find out how this is done with my particular awning.
If anyone knows and can share this info, I would
greatly appreciate it.

There are no short parts that can be separated and
manually "unwound".  So, I don't think I can use the
Zip-dee technique.  I keep thinking about the gag that
kids play with two pencils and a rubber band all
twisted up...but this one isn't too funny.

Please help--I don't want to be flogged by my awning!

Jon in SC
68 Overlander
16' Faulkner awning