[VAC] releasing the spring on a faulkner awning

Hi Again Keith,

Didn't have to take the tanks out to check them, so far.  Did find that it
was the slide valve for the black water tank that was doing all the leaking.
Hopefully I can remove it without breaking the holding tank.  Had to cut the
drain line so I could get the gray water slide valve out.  The gray water
valve wasn't leaking, but it was frozen.  Haven't tried to force the black
water valve.  The gaskets are very old and deformed, I guess from being dry
for a very long time.  It's a  hefty price for Thetford slide valves as
compared to other marks.  I don't think there's a repair kit for the slide
valves.  Too bad as the rest of the unit seems sound.

As for the gray water tank, it's installed exactly like the holding tank in
my '69 Safari.  Front and rear angle iron supports that are bolted to the
frame rails (so the tank can be dropped).  There's a sheet metal housing
that's about 1 on the sides and ends for foam insulation.  The bottom on the
Safari had pylons on the foam to allow air circulation.  Heat from the
furnace is supposed to circulate around the tank to prevent freeze up.  The
housing butts against the floor and together with the angle iron brace
across the bottom, forms a brace/support for the floor above.

For the Safari, I fabricated new angle iron braces, welded in new tabs,
replaced the skid rail on one side, repaired the cross frame that holds the
shell to the frame, replaced part of the floor, made a new holding tank
cover, .  .  .  Still not complete as I have to install the tub and other
bath, it's a very  big job! :(

I found that much of the floor right against the rear wall is rotted out.
Much of the floor is cut out for the commode tank anyway, so the gray water
housing/brace has a huge job to do.  You'll most likely find the support
tabs welded to the frame if the auxiliary tank was an option for your year.
Most likely, I'll foam the open area to seal it from the weather and leave
the floor for another project since it involves removing the bathroom
completely to get the new floor in properly.

Seems like anyone who has replaced the under floor holding tank for '69 and
earlier Airstreams can provide lots of advice for the project.

                                              '74 Argosy, Joy