[VAC] Re: '74 Argosy Tire information

Hi Arnie,

My owner's manual says that Argosy installed a "name brand at the factory"
in the size of 700-15, 6 ply or 8 ply, with the appropriate inflation of 40
and 60 pounds respectively.  The gross weight is 5800 #s for the 22 foot
model.  I'm assuming that the load range C (6 ply)carries 2040 and the D (8
ply) carries 2450.

Hope I'm not making another mistake by ordering the Goodyear Marathon
radials, but I'm sure they will fit and are load range C which is similar to
the original.  Unfortunately, I have no way to determine what the original
tire brand installed on the Argosy.  Maybe other list members can post the
original tire make.   Most likely it was a bias ply similar to the Carlisle
700-15.  Seems that the tire manufacturers have increased the tread depth
that results in a greater diameter.

Yes, the radial will lower the trailer profile an inch or so.  Hopefully it
won't distort the tow setup level with the Hensley hitch that I've
installed.  Just finished moving the propane tank bottom ring so the Hensley
hitch brackets would install per specifications 25 1/2 inches.

There's still time to change the order for these tires, so I'd really
appreciate some straight dope on the right tire replacement.

                                              '74 Argosy, Joy