[VAC] Tires on single-axles

Molly,

1 - There aren't any guarantees against blowouts, but there are a few things many of us do to minimize the issue. I don't use tires older than 4.5 to 5 years regardless of how new they may look. There's a little code on the back of each tire signifying the year of manufacture. Find the DOT #.  The last 3 digits tell week & year of manufacture, i.e. 248 = 24th week of 1998.

2 - There are "skids" which can be installed on the axle adjacent to the tire. Jim Dunmyer had them on his Airstream. Why don't you drop him a note   <jdunmyer@toltbbs.com>  and ask for his website address which shows the skids? Skids are readily available all across the country.

3 - And do like most owners of single axle trailers do, go to the hardware store and buy 3 sheets of aluminum (3' x 3'), a pair of heavy gloves and a rubber mallet.  Always carry your fully charged portable electric drill with the right size bits for your box of 500 pop rivets. Put all the small stuff in your stash box along with tubes of caulking, a ground cloth to lay on, your jump suit which zips up to your neck and has long sleeves, your hat and goggles to keep wheel well dirt from falling into your face/eyes and anything else that suits your fancy.  Then, when you make the repair in the Arizona desert on BLM land, you'll have everything you need. Your biggest problem will be shoooo-ing off the snakes.

4 - You do carry two spare tires, don't you? Plus, a small air tank pressurized to the limit?

Nervousness is only for those who don't prepare options for themselves, - in case the unexpected occurs - and it will.

How's that for starters? I do what I can to be prepared and I avoid being cavalier about my tires. But tires won't keep me from exploring unknown roads or double dirt pathways.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net