[VAC] Re: Replacement Refrigerator

Hey Carl,

Beg to disagree about the off level flame missing it's mark and the electric
can run
off level.  A good way to shorten the life of the refrigerator.   Newer
refrigerators have design changes that allow more off-level operation, but
it's still a good idea to always keep the trailer level when parked and
running the refrigerator.  While traveling, the movement allows the coolant
to return.

There's a decent web site that explains the whole system, but I don't recall
it's address.  Should be an easy search to find it.

I think of the heated chimney, electric or propane, as a still
that evaporates the ammonia from the aqueous condensed solution that feeds
into the bottom of the still.  I've read that hydrogen is part of the
mixture and that the difference in vapor pressures moves the coolant through
the refrigerator.  Something about gas laws involving partial
pressures.  Then, back through the very large condenser coils.

When the unit is run off-level, the ammonia mixture stays in the upper
regions of the condenser and most likely crystallizes.  Sometimes, inverting
the refrigerator and allowing the liquid in the lower reservoir to flow into
the upper regions dissolves the stuff and the refrigerator will work again.
Then, I've heard few comments that this works frequently.  A lot of work! :(

                  Regards, '69 Safari, Joy