[VAC] Re: 70's trailers was Univolt vs modern power supplies

From my observations of the 70's trailers is that we are lucky Airstream is
still here.  Many many trailer companies went out of business then because
of the gas crisis.  Steamline and Bolus included.  I think Airstream went
with the times as we all know the 70's will not go down in history as great
style.

In addition my understanding is the reason they went with the laminent
plastic is that it was supposed to last forever with minimal care. I have a
59 with beautiful wood and a 75 with plastic.  The wood is really cool, but
I do find the plastic more durable - a shot of 303 protectant makes it look
pretty great.

In my view the when I compare my 50's trailer and my 70's trailer and for
that matter the new Airstreams - the quality is there.  Yeah the aluminum
is not as thick and some other things here and there, on the other hand
there are things I like a lot better about the newer ones than the older ones.

Nevertheless they are all great trailers and they will outlast us if we
take care of them.

Ken Johansen
5358
59 Traveler