[VAC] Black tank leak!

Tim, unless the black tank was leaking the whole time -- or at least before
it filled up to the point water would not empty from the toilet bowl, my
guess is that the tank is probably okay (I can wish, can't I?) and the
problem is the rubber seal between the toilet and the flange that is screwed
into the top of the black tank. I'd start with that assumption anyway. The
last rubber seal I bought was about $10 and involved removing the toilet to
get to it. Depending on which toilet you have there will be some bolts (4 on
mine) holding it too the floor. Once the toilet is off, you will see the
rubber seal and the tank flange. You have to remove the water line to the
toilet to take out the toilet but if yours has a flexible water line you
might not have to. You might be able to lift the toilet enough to change the
rubber seal with the water line attached. My Tradewind had a copper water
line but I replaced it with a flexible line which is easier to work with.

As an aside, I never let the black water tank get completely full before I
empty it. Also, I use a hand sprayer to wash down the bowl before and after
use sort of the idea of a Navy shower. This method gets me at least a week
of use by three people before the black tank needs emptying.

Hope your leak is easily fixed. Replacing the tank is much more work and
expense.

Jim Greene
' 68 Tradewind