[VAC] Re: Trailer Brake Aggressiveness

Kevin:
    I decided to test my trailer brakes this evening. I wanted to see if
they are getting the proper voltage. (which might be causing them to stop
poorly). I discovered a new hazard ....children who drive their own cars can
take off with Dad's tools locked in the trunk!  That's where my voltmeter
is:  in my son's car who left for the State of Indiana last Sunday.

So, I decided on an alternate test. I found a 35 watt headlight bulb and
patched it into the trailer brake magnet wire connections (in parallel). The
bulb went from very dim to very bright as the brake controller was depressed
...just like it should. The brightness of the bulb was, as far as I could
see, just the same as when I had it hooked up to my (brand new) battery in
the car. If my wires were corroded, or too small, or if there was some
deficiency in the electrical system someplace, the bulb would have appeared
dimmer. So, without proper quantitative measurements, I'm going to rely on
my observations (and gut reactions) and declare that I am getting plenty of
voltage to my magnets. I could hear them operating also.  In conclusion, I
believe my magnets are just not strong enough. I'd say that your
recommendation about the aggressiveness of the magnets will solve the
problem of my weak brakes. I wish I knew what I have now! I wonder if there
is any way to tell.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA